Growing Up Healthy, Early Childhood Navigator
May 6, 2021
Up to 40 hours per week, serving families in Faribault and Northfield
Established in 2007, Growing Up Healthy (a program of the Healthy Community Initiative) works with partner organizations and Latinx, immigrant and/or low-income families to transform communities through cultivating neighborhood leadership, fostering social connectedness, and collectively advocating for change within neighborhoods and systems.
Growing Up Healthy is seeking a bilingual individual to work with families who have very young children to help them overcome obstacles that prevent kindergarten readiness. The person in this role will support efforts to increase the number of children who 1) complete early childhood screening before turning four years old, and 2) enroll/persist in preschool or other high quality early learning opportunities. One or two Early Childhood Navigators will be hired. Hours will range from 20-40 per week, depending on the candidate pool and qualified candidates’ preferences.
- Reach out to and support caregivers/parents of young children from prioritized low-income neighborhoods in Faribault and Northfield
- Listen for, identify and document barriers and challenges families face when trying to access preschool, and help families troubleshoot barriers to preschool enrollment and persistence. Engage families as much as possible in the process of identifying collaborative solutions
- Assist with preschool/early childhood program and scholarship applications
- Complete home visits and individual meetings with families
- Connect families with early childhood screening; follow-up with children who attend screening and report they are not yet enrolled in preschool and/or accessing early childhood learning opportunities
- Refer families to community resources and services; assist families to complete application forms or other paperwork (as needed) in order to receive services; follow up with families to ensure services were received
- Provide follow-up connections after well-child checks
- Assist with childcare assistance program (CCAP) applications
- Build positive working relationships with agency and program partners, and ensure effective, timely communication with individuals and organizations central to this work
- Track data weekly using data tracking systems
- Serve as an active member of the Rice County Ready for Kindergarten team
- Support other Healthy Community Initiative programs when needed; remain flexible and adapt as part of the team; maintain consistent, positive communication with team members, families and community partners
- Bilingual in English and Spanish or Somali
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota driver’s license and auto insurance and be able to travel throughout Rice County
- Experience working with diverse populations
- 2-5 years of experience in family home visiting, early childhood education, individual family support, or a related field
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) and Google Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with superior attention to detail
- Excellent ability to multi-task and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as a member of a team
- Capable of completing work on time in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours
- Passion for equity and social justice
- Willingness to maintain the standards, carry out the purpose, and adhere to the policies of the Healthy Community Initiative
- Maintenance of a cell phone is an expectation of employment
Familiarity with Faribault and Northfield Public Schools and Rice County organizations and resources.
Hourly wage will depend on qualifications, and will range from $17–$19/hour.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and the contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com. Application review will begin May 24, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.