PRIMEtime Collaborative is a network of local organizations and youth programs that provide free after-school and summer programming for over 1,000 school-age children in Northfield.
It’s our community. They are our kids. Let’s take responsibility for making sure that when 4 p.m. rolls around, they have somewhere safe to go and positive, healthy activities to engage in. We’re all better off when kids succeed.
PRIMEtime includes five main programs:
- PLUS – An after school program that meets four days per week at Bridgewater, Sibley and Greenvale Park Elementary Schools
- Middle School Youth Center – An after school youth center open four days per week in the Northfield Middle School
- The Key – A year-round, youth-run teen center in downtown Northfield
- Homework Help – Providing before and after school homework help programs to youth
- Summer PLUS – A summer-long academic and recreational program for elementary and middle school students.
Each PRIMEtime site offers:
- Homework assistance from college and community volunteer tutors
- Daily skill-building workshops on an array of topics selected by youth
- One-on-one mentoring with caring adults
- Ongoing cultural- and gender-specific groups
- College and career exploration experiences
- Transportation to and from the program
- Youth leadership opportunities, including serving on boards, setting programming, and mentoring younger students
- Family events
- Service-learning experiences
Other partners in PRIMEtime include:
- Tackling Obstacles and Raising College Hopes (TORCH) – a collaborative and highly successful effort to increase the graduation and post-secondary attendance rates of Northfield’s Latino, low-income, and ESL students, as well as young people who would be first-generation college attendees
- Connected Kids Mentoring Program – Connected Kids strengthens the engagement of Northfield youth in school and in the community through one-on-one mentoring relationships with positive caring adults.
- Minnesota Alliance With Youth’s Promise Fellow Program – supporting Northfield with six AmeriCorps Promise Fellows
- Healthy Community Initiative – a youth coalition that assists with convening the PRIMEtime group, tracking data, and submitting grant applications and reports