Somali Youth Engagement Specialist
March 8, 2022
20-40 hours per week, depending on selected candidate’s interests and availability; hours will be primarily during the traditional school day, with some evening hours
Now in its 30th year, the Healthy Community Initiative (HCI) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster collaborative communities in Rice County, Minnesota, that empower youth, strengthen families, and build community.
Two of HCI’s flagship initiatives, Tackling Obstacles & Raising College Hopes (TORCH) and Realizing Individual Student Excellence (RISE) work to increase the high school graduation and postsecondary attendance/completion rates of Rice County youth who are from low-income homes, students of color, and/or potential first-generation college attendees.
HCI seeks a bilingual individual (English and Somali) to provide support to East African youth at Faribault High School, Northfield High School and Northfield Area Learning Center, as well as establish and maintain connections with Somali-speaking parents.
- Build and foster strong relationships with Somali students in grades 9-12 who are identified as needing additional support to finish high school
- Provide one-on-one and small group academic support to RISE and TORCH students
- Assist students with the completion of paperwork necessary to successfully enroll in postsecondary programs, register for workforce development programs, and complete financial aid applications
- Connect with Somali students’ families and serve as a link between TORCH, RISE, families and the local education systems; complete home visits and neighborhood-based outreach as needed to connect with families
- Meet regularly with the TORCH and RISE teams to review data and identify youth to serve; track student progress; determine which interventions to connect to individual students or groups of students
- Maintain program records, complete ongoing youth assessments and track data in the Salesforce system
- Assist with securing summer enrichment opportunities for students
- Bilingual (English-Somali)
- 2-5 years of related experience supporting diverse youth
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) and Google Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with students and staff
- Highly organized with superior attention to detail
- Excellent ability to multi-task and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as a member of a team
- Capable of completing work on time in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Experience working with diverse families
- Willingness to maintain the standards, carry out the purpose, and adhere to the policies of the Healthy Community Initiative
- Reliable transportation with the ability to travel throughout Rice County
- Maintenance of a cell phone is an expectation of employment
Reports to: HCI Senior Director Jodi Lundell
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references to Jodi Lundell, HCI Senior Director, email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.